Friday, January 15, 2010

Count Your Blessings

I stopped reading the newspapers when Ben was born, and then the nightly news and then anything that proved too much for the weakened Mother's heart that now filled my chest. Most commercials became too much even and now I rarely turn the television on at all. I did not roll our from under a remote rock to give birth when I became a Mother. I knew full well the kind of world I was bringing a child into. It terrified me.

Today as I prepared to welcome another child to this paradox I forced myself to read through the morning newspaper which I have not done in so long. I allowed myself to cry over the photojournalism that captured some of the worst of this world in it's pages this week. The magnitude too much to imagine, or even almost absorb. In a woman's eyes, much blacker than mine, I saw the anguish she felt; in a close up photograph of her that landed on my doorstep, a world away. My heart goes out to those in Haiti, and swells in desperate gratitude for a life so far from there. We will welcome our baby at the same time so many bury theirs. I cannot quite begin to wrap my mind around the depth of this injustice but I will continue to cling to my blessings.

Our family will be donating to;

Doctors without borders
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

and

International Red Cross
http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/helpicrc

In the name of our children; who were born into a different life where their mother is spared their suffering. For that I am grateful every moment of every day.

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...