Friday, July 23, 2010

My Dream


I hate Laundry. I really really loath it. When one of my children spoils an outfit before 10 am I know there are probably 2 more plus pajamas now to wash for the day....

My Mother in law loves laundry. The boys get their bums wiped with facecloths at her house just SO there will be more laundry to do.

She is a saint.

I thought perhaps then it was just perspective ...I tried to change my perspective...truly I did. I try to be grateful for my front loaders that half the amount of loads I need to do in a week as a result. I am fully aware that my great great grandmother would have sold her left foot for one of these contraptions.

Alas. Here I am...loathing laundry.

Sometimes I get on a roll and will do 3 or 4 loads in a day, but then I lose momentum and interest and inevitably get distracted. Then I will wander down to my least favorite room a few days later to be reminded by a stinking load still sitting in the washer...needing now to be washed again. I usually wash the load in the dryer again too because it is so wrinkly I would certainly have to *gasp* iron it or something. (if you just dry the cycle on high heat and take it out immediately after it is done and still hot, rarely does anything wrinkle!)

Ben was looking at a new book I got for Jacob called "1000 words" he was naming all the things on the the pages and had no trouble with "combine harvesters, mobile cranes, refrigerators and staplers" but when he got to a funny oval shaped appliance he was stuck.

"Mommy? What is that?"

"Um...it's an iron. Ask Grandma."

No I have never ironed. Ever. I do own one though... my mother in law gave it to me. One day I will use it too...I swear on my front loaders".

I usually dress my boys in dress shirts and vests for church on Sunday. Often people comment on their outfits, specifically vests.

"You must have quite a collection of vests! They always look so charming on Sunday mornings."

Why thank you. I do love to dress my dollies...I mean children, up. But the truth? They wear vests because I too agree with the charming nature of a little boy in a vest...but you also need not iron the shirt underneath.

Jon is not allowed to take off his hot suit jacket, even in July. Unfortunately the hot dryer trick doesn't really starch the way I would like a dress shirt to look so he is stuck in a suit jacket.

There. My shame.

Then on a first episode of 19 kids and counting, (I think there were only 15 then...) I saw the solution to my loath. The thing that would free me too to have an 8 load a day quota of kids....

the....

Family Laundry Room

Michelle Duggar is brilliant!

I need one of these.. All the clothes are kept in the same room, ideally with the washer and dryer. You simply wash, fold and put away in the same place. No lugging clothes up and down stairs, no sorting and splitting into piles for different drawers and rooms...a laundry chute would really be te icing on the cake wouldn't it!

Can you imagine the freedom! No longer the dank room in the pit of the basement...but a sunny, organized, detergent smelling heaven of clothes organization.

I wish one for everyone!!!



I would probably iron too...if i had one of these little numbers...

6 comments:

Heather @ Raising Memories Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robinm said...

I also hate laundry and a perfect summer solution is just not wearing clothes. if we aren't going anywhere but the backyard and the house diapers will do. boys love it and I love it.. and just convert Jon to the sweater vest thats what I did with branden to hide my lack of ironing.. or he could do it himself.

Mom said...

Don't feel too bad Jenn...ironing just isn't in your blood. Your grandmother didn't iron, I didn't iron either. You are just following a grand and glorious family tradition. That's one way to look at it but I too greatly admire anyone who enjoys the iron. I actually ironed the pillowcases this week to make up for the wrinkled sheets. I thought the ironed pillow cases would give a great first impression. It is kind of along the same idea when I put a small bowl of "Mr. Clean" by the front door so when someone comes in they smell the cleanser and think I have just spent the day cleaning. xo

Mom said...

Don't feel too bad Jenn...ironing just isn't in your blood. Your grandmother didn't iron, I didn't iron either. You are just following a grand and glorious family tradition. That's one way to look at it but I too greatly admire anyone who enjoys the iron. I actually ironed the pillowcases this week to make up for the wrinkled sheets. I thought the ironed pillow cases would give a great first impression. It is kind of along the same idea when I put a small bowl of "Mr. Clean" by the front door so when someone comes in they smell the cleanser and think I have just spent the day cleaning. xo

Jane said...

OMG Jenn, this post has me laughing hysterically (especially the vest part)!!! I too hate laundry...not so much the washer/dryer part, but folding and puting away is MISERY. I usually have at least 2-3 baskets sitting in my bedroom waiting to be put away (and I only do it because I need the baskets to move onto the next loads). I would LOVE, LOVE one of those fancy rooms!

katie said...

Ironing is no fun...laundry I don't mind so much...I LOVE doing the kids laudry...but my own is more of a pain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...