Monday, October 4, 2010

No Pain No Gain

I started a new gym today... and braved my first fitness class. With other women, and many many mirrors. It was intimidating, all that lu lu lemon in one spot....all those abs. And mine, well...they're in there somewhere I am pretty sure. "Kim" is the instructor. I am pretty sure she and biggest loser Gillian are cousins. I instantly wished I was back on my couch laughing at the contestants falling off the treadmills, eating my kit kat when I pushed through and committed to entertaining one of my worst nightmares.

I should back up. I took HALF a fitness class one time. I was middle row center in a similar group of women when Nike was still cool and I still had abdominal muscles. The music started, the instructor was pumped and off the class went....lunging, squatting, dancing and boogying their butts into shape. I was intent on watching the instructor, because co ordination and rhythm are not my strengths. At all.

I finally thought I was getting it and took my eyes off the instructor to watch the group move simultaneously in the wrap around floor to ceiling mirrors. I noticed one poor woman hidden behind the front row whose arms shot up as the rest shot theirs down. Her movements awkward and clumsy. She was one beat off the rest of the group; certainly she was throwing everyone else off. I made sure to really step it up and did my best to keep up with more seasoned ladies and not pay any attention to the class dud in the middle. The middle....!!! It hit me then.With full force beet red embarrassment. Clumsy no rhythm hands was me!!!!
By the grace of all things holy there was a 2 minute water break a few moments later where I left never to return again.

Until today.

I half contemplated making an announcement to the class before it started about the impending distraction I would be, with a pre class apology to the instructor.

Yup. I flailed my arms around and did the opposite leg as everyone else and used my right instead of my left and when I caught someone smiling at me in the mirror. I smiled back.

I think I can go back tomorrow. I felt really really good...well other than that nasty pride indigestion...tums doesn't make that brand unfortunately.I am confident that it will pass. It always does.

My goal is to do 5 gym sessions a week until I lose 50 pounds. I think I can do this! The boys survived their first morning in the childminding area where a running loop of Dora the Explorer is played. After two episodes Ben is already talking about "Rainbow mountain", "Swiper no swiping!" and other lingo unique to the most annoying children's show since a certain purple dinosaur. I survived my first class back, most definitely the hardest to get through...!

ps. I hate lunges more than anything in the whole entire would. I believe the Japanese invented them during world war two.I yelled out more than once "No more! I will tell you everything you want to know!"
...that didn't help my class popularity.

pss. My reward for being a size 8 will be my very own pair of lu lu lemons. Do they come in hot pink? Cause I might not be sticking out enough yet...

pss. Tomorrow's class is Zumba. That is dangerously close to dancing, which all who know me know I don't do (please see above...) especially not with Latin influence... perhaps this will aid my rhythm and co ordination efforts?

Psss. Aren't I brave? I should probably get my Lu Lu's now. Although I don't think they come in plus size. For good reason.

Pssss. Two women talked to me after class, they asked me if I was "new"...how sweet to assume that there was any other answer to that.

5 comments:

robinm said...

Okay Jenn I started going to the gym a few months ago and I hit 3 to 4 of the classes a week and I am still the class reject. I avoid the mirrors and go 10 minutes early to get the one spot in the back corner where you don't have to look at yourself and I did zumba last week and I was THE ONLY one to show up so the intructor had just me to focus on. she kept laughing at how unrhythmic I was. so embarrassing. that being said, I love goign it makes me feel better and I've lost 15 lbs even though I haven't started eating better yet (tomorrow I promise) so good for you. and although from my experience I can't promise you'll get any better you will feel better.

Cheryl said...

If I still lived near you- I would come with you- that way there would be 2 class duds....

The Blakeneys said...

One piece of advice -- go get the LuLu's NOW. For real. You need to feel as good as possible when you are working out (to balance out the coordination thing!) and take my word for it, LuLu's do amazing things for legs/bums and more importantly, self-esteem. :)

Kelly Switzer said...

oh Lu Lu, I am not going to knock it completely as I have not tried on a pair or even gone looking for them. The price scares me for one and I really like my costco pair I got for $16, for 2 pairs! I work out every day, my husband and I do P90X, I run three times a week and have done yogo alot! Only twice in a studio and I wore my running shorts and tank. Here at home we turn on our fireplace, for HOT yoga, and I wear whatever I want!!

I must say some women I have seen In lulu have not looked that great! It seems to cling to areas where you might not want that much attention.
Ladies, it is just a name.......where what looks good on you and what you feel good in......

Jenn, keep going to your classes, feel good about yourself and you don't need a pair of expensive pants to do so!

Home With the Kids :) said...

Scotty discovered Dora the explorer at the gym too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...