Thursday, July 5, 2007

The longest nine...or ten months


A pregnancy is not really nine months. It is 40 weeks on average which translates into around TEN months. It is not nice to set up an expectant couple for a nine month wait (agonizing enough!) only to then disclose that tenth *bonus* month! We are in our ninth month now and after a torturous (actually it went by pretty fast- I just added that for dramatic appeal) wait we are now counting down the final weeks.

We only really have been waiting for about six and a half months though to be honest since we were blissfully unaware for the first 2 and a half months.
I suppose that is a little long but in my ignorance I was expecting some immediate, magical, maternal change in myself and I would just know immediately... obviously that didn't happen. I just got more and more frustrated as the weeks went by (some would say hormonal) that it wasn't "working" and by week six had all but given into the fact that we just weren't meant for parenthood (only to find out that on average it takes 3-6 months for conception... ) By December I thought it was for the best anyhow since I knew there was something so terribly wrong with me it would likely be my last Christmas. I was so tired I couldn't walk up the stairs, I had headaches and nausea every day. The worst day I stayed on the couch for an entire eighteen hours, missing Jon's family's Christmas dinner and preparing myself for my imminent demise. I didn't even have enough energy to let the dog out- he peed twice on the floor all the while glaring at me for making him do it and then yelling at him (hormones?). Cancer? Diabetes? Thyroid? These were my top three self diagnosis (since my Dr. was on holidays). It was likely going to be fatal whatever it was as no one could live like this for long I was sure. I pushed my way through Christmas doing more then I should have because I was determined to make happy Christmas memories for Jon, our first and last Christmas together as a married couple.... Then I broke down and told my mom... "your not dying, your pregnant!" Apparently everyone suspected/knew but me. On our way home from Christmas dinner on the 23rd at my parents house we picked up a pregnancy test. I took it at 5:30 am on Christmas eve morning and not only was my cancer, diabetes and thyroid condition cured immediately but our lives changed forever.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...