Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Birthday Wish


I heard a question proposed recently that made me really think.

"If you could go back to the day of your child's birth what would you do?"



How I wish I had known, on that first day of Motherhood all that I know now. I would take a picture of every tiny inch of that wrinkly purple skin, bottle that smell and not let anyone else hold you...until tomorrow.
I would count every hair on your head and stroke the downy softness of your back as you mold into my chest in a tight little ball. I would kiss every little toe and finger. I would memorize the curve of your ears and the hint of your eyebrows. I would imagine the little boy ahead, laughing, playing, yelling, running.
I would count all your parts and tally who you got the best from.
I wouldn't be so afraid.
Terrified.
Overwhelmed.
Self conscious.
worried.
I would relax and watch you. Savor you. And the process of falling in love.

If I could go back to that day I would realize how quickly it would pass.
How quickly it would all pass.
I would remind myself  not to get lost in the details. I wouldn't worry about lack of sleep, snuffly noses, matching socks or what the "experts" have to say. I would promise to laugh more and leave the dishes. 

If I could go back to the day of your birth, I would feel like it was just yesterday and yet when I look at you today-  a laughing, playing, yelling, running birthday boy, it feels so long ago.

Happy Birthday, my sweet sweet boy.

I love every inch of you and every moment of being your Mother.




Mommy
xoxo

1 comment:

katie said...

Happy Birthday to Ben!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...